Sunday, October 25, 2009

Autumn Colours 10K Run

Did my second 10K of the year the Owen Sound YMCA's Autumn 10K Run today. The dull, damp and rather gloomy weather of late gave way to a crisp Sunny Autumn day. It was ideal conditions for a couple of laps around Harrison Park. The race was suppose to start at 09:00 am. I stated warming up at 09:40 by doing a 3.8K run at a 5:30 pace. I was in position right on time only to hear them announce a 10-15 minute delay due to an unexpected number race day registrations. It about 5C and I was up to temp with a bit of a sweat on so off I went continuing my warm up , another another 2.5K at a slower 6:38 pace. As you can see I was quiet warmed up a ready to go when the race finally started at 10:19, managed to avoid getting chilled and the heart rate and core body temp were race ready.


The race consisted of a 5K loop through park paths and a wee bit of road. It was more of a trail race then I expected , really pretty with a few small hills... Garmin said +367/-362m over 10.08K. First K was fast , there was 7 out in front of me ...figured I would be able to catch at least four of them during the race. Picked off the first 2 between 2-3K , guys that you just knew got caught up in the quick start. Picked of another at 5K and that would be my last pass of the race. I held 4th position up until the last K , a young fellow in his teens pushed me 7 through 9K but he had more left then I did and passed me shortly after the 9K mark. I wished I had it in me to challenge him but it just wasn't the day.


No chip timing , not even sure if they were timing the race .... didn't see any results posted but there was a guy with a laptop at the finish so I suspect there is a Gun Time. My Garmin said that I completed 10.08 K in 44min54seconds for an average pace of 4min27sec/km. I placed 5th overall out of around 50 paticipants and 2nd in my age group 40+ . In my AG catagory I was beat by Wayne Sphar from the OUS circuit by about a minute, good guy to loose too! So I was pleased , quiet pleased .... I didn't prep for this race. It was Beer and a Chinese food feast for dinner last night and barely lost any sleep last night!







Next Sunday its a BQ attempt at Hamilton's Road 2 Hope..... and I am hoping for as good a running conditions as we had today!

No comments: