Sunday, May 26, 2013

Sulphur Springs 50 Mile Trail Race - May 25, 2013

 It was a great day to be running in the Dundas Valley yesterday and the weather really helped me to get an unexpected PB.

   The alarm was set for 02:30 am but after 4 hours of broken sleep I was up before the alarm went off  feeling surprisingly rested and ready to Run.   Picked Grant up in Varney at 2:40 am ,  one stop on the way ...Tims in Guelph.  I was counting on a more substantial breakfast but they don't start server until 05:00 am !!!!! SO race morning nutrition consisted of ,  Coffee , OJ , Yogurt and a couple of cookies!   Arrived at the race at 5:00 am ,  picked up the race kit then prepared in the car with the heat cranked avoiding the 3C temps ...brrrr.

 The 100 Mile and 50 Mile races both started at 06:00 am so nearly 200 of us lined up for the chilly start.  I was wearing shorts, compression shirt with a long sleeve T over top as well as a compression hat and gloves.   ...I was a little chilled but anxious to get a few K s behind us.    I didn't really have much of a race plan and thought that maybe ,  just maybe this would be the day that things seem to come together.  Last year I went out way too fast logging a 2hr10min first 20K loop.  I had my Garmin with me and used it to slow at the start   with a lap goal of 2hrs30min.   Lap one was uneventful and I felt good.   I was a bit fast through the "Gatehouse" loop but the first 7K are by far the fastest.  Bumped into Chris McPeak  doing the 100 Miler and jokingly reminded him of what happened last year when we both logged a quick start!    Started leap frogging LeAnne and Christa ...this would go on pretty much the remainder of the day!   Finishing the first loop Christa gave me a bag of "Magic Balls" ... a peanut butter ,  maple syrup , coconut and a whole lot of other things in them.  After having only a couple of Ciff bars before the race the solid food on the run was a welcome addition to my race nutrition.    Completed the first loop in 2hrs21min a little fast but  feeling good.  Heading back out on the second loop I passed Grant coming up the big hill at the finish ,  he was about 3 minutes behind me looking really good and thoroughly enjoying the run.    Temp were starting to rise as we entered the "Gatehouse Loop" ,  I contemplated loosing the 2nd layer up top but it was still pretty chilly in spots so I opted to keep it on.    I was more or less taking an S Cap hourly  and gelling 2 -3 times / loop and getting 8-16 cups of water and or coke/loop and this would go on all day.   Past 30K I started to get a bit of pain in my legs but this is a normal thing that I knew would pass.   The Garmins battery isn't up to a 12 hour day so I had it off for loop 2 and was pacing my feel.   Finished the 2nd loop in 2hrs31 mins   only one minute over my planned time.   Grant had closed the gap on me and we got to run together for a few Ks heading out on the 3rd loop.   Grant was looking really strong and was really feeling the effects of the Caffeine on the Gels ,  he was literally bouncing around the trails.   I lost Grant early on in the Gatehouse loop when I decided to take the long sleeve T off.   I slowed to a walk for a bit when I removed the shirt ,  took off my back pack and stuffed it in where the bladder resides.  I was definitely beginning to overheat and it took me a bit to recover and get going again.  I was hoping to hold pace aiming for another 2hrs30min loop but it felt like I was really slowing down.   Heading into the "Lollipop Loop" is not the place to make up time .... its up up and up then a very long downhill that tired legs didn't seem to handle all that well.  Finishing the 3rd loop I was interviewed by some students doing some sort of a fitness project.  I wish I had of had my camera on and captured the look on their face...they ask whats your post race recovery food and I answered " A Big Mac meal with a Giant Coke and Giant Fries" .   Passed Grant heading back out just before the start finish ,  he was about 3 minutes in front of me and yelled " hurry up"  which brought allot of laughter to those hanging out at the start finish!   Finished the 3rd loop in 2hrs44min...fired the Garmin back up with the intention of making me run faster.   I was sort of thinking sub 10 hours heading out but realistically I just wanted to get it under last years 10hrs32min for PB.   Caught up with Grant at the bottom of the hill at the start and we ran together through the "Gatehouse Loop".  Grant talked about making a time and I told him not to worry about it .... just keep running.    I really found this loop to be much better then the previous.  Although fatigued there is nothing sweeter then bringing it home knowing the finish is near.   I was moving well and keeping an eye on the Garmin.   Grant ran out of water and refilled his bladder at the  Aid Station at the end of the "Gatehouse Loop"... I didn't see him again.   I just kept pressing doing my last Gel entering the "Lollipop Loop".   Kim doing the 100 Miler caught up with me climbing the "Three Sisters" ,  we chatted for a bit until I pushed on.   Doing the climb I knew it wouldn't be a sub 10 hour day but I still pushed hard to the finish.   Crossed the line logging 2hrs40min for loop 4 tripping the clock at 10hrs17min42sec... a PB by 14 minutes.

 I was quite happy with the unexpected results and chalk it up to not going out too fast as well as perfect weather.

 I avoided right foot pain using "Ball of Foot" Spenco Cushions and wearing the Toe Socks I only had 1 Blister on my right baby toe.   My feet  were burning at the end and I had a little trouble walking but not too bad.   Its been 20hrs since I stopped running and I am getting a bit of quad pain but I am still doing stairs OK albeit slowly!

I was a too busy running to shoot video but I did capture the excitement at the start ...

3 comments:

Anne said...

LOve the video!!

Robin said...

Congratulations! Great result. It was nice to see you, though I'm not sure you realized who I was (Runningmania). I took a great pic of you on course, and it's on the site if you want it. Congrats again on a great time and a huge PB. That's terrific.

kim said...

Way to go, Ron! It was wonderful to see you at Sulphur! And your race reports are always amazing - thanks for capturing these incredible moments. :)