Monday, September 20, 2021

Dam Hill 6 Hour - Saturday September 18 2021

 Another weekend another race .... been some time that I have done back to back race weekends.   This past Sunday it was the Falling Water 1/2 and 6 days later it was the Dam Hill 6 hour.    My A goal was to get 50 km done in under 6 hours and I just managed to squeak it in.  










My race plan was to try for a 6:00 pace and run the hill for the first 3 hours.   As it turned out it was more of a 6:20 pace reaching the 1/2 Marathon mark in 2h12min.   I did however run the hill including one time past the 3 hour mark.   I was doing a gel and getting 500 ml in every hour but fell a little behind the nutrition and hydration around the 4 hour mark.   Did an ever so brief stop ,  less then 5 min and really upped the water ,  added a couple of S Caps and did some more calories.   It got really hard past 4 hours I haven't done any long constant runs in 2 years!   The legs felt  heavy right from the get go.  It seemed to get progressively worse as the hours passed by.  I am pretty sure it was just a lactic acid buildup simply due to the fact that I haven't been doing these sorts of runs.  No the less I pushed through.   There was 2 laps remaining when the clock showed 5h22m.   I knew I could finish under 6 but I also knew I would be hard and I couldn't give in and had to push, push push! 




  









I was pretty happy with the result but a little disillusioned that it was a little tougher then I expected but any day I can run 50 km is a good day.  


No comments: