Monday, July 26, 2021

Talley in the Valley Trail Race - Saturday July 24, 2021

 First organized race since January 2020 was done Saturday.   I was registered for the 24 hour race and was surprised a few weeks ago when they announced that the race was a go! I had a super busy 64 hour work week leading up to the race working until midnight the day before.   The race started at 9 am,  I picked up my race bib and was running by around 11:30.    My A goal was to get to 80 km ,  B 50 km and C was stay home.    It was oppressively humid through the afternoon but we got reprieve with an hour or two of light to moderate rain.   The rain was fantastic but afterward the sun came out long enough to bring back the humidity.    Its a 7 km loop done in an average of around 65-70 min.   I gelled and or ate and brought in at least 600 - 700 ml of water each loop.   I was also running to heart rate keeping it in the 130's on the trail and 120's on the 2k rail trail section.  Half way through the run it was impossible to still run and keep the HR in the 120' on the rail trail section so I let it creep into the mid 130's.   That was all about Glycogen depletion and using more O2 to burn body mass as fuel.     I was though the 6 laps / 42 km in about 6.5 hours.   Checked the weather and T Storms and heavy rain were expected in a couple of hours.  Figured I would call it a day after 7 laps/ 49 km because I wasn't going to site out the weather I figured I would loose interest so I grabbed my poles and speed walked most of my final loop.    

So yeah ,  goal B met ...any day I can run 50 km is a good day.  This was my longest run in 13 months so I was pretty happy to get it done. 

























No comments: