Monday, August 15, 2022

Endur Stage 7 - Full Marathon - Rim Park Waterloo

  Stage 7 is in the books and so is another Endur Ultimate... I have already registered for 2023! 

  First a foremost it was a very early morning with the alarm set for 3:45 am planning a 4:15 am departure with a 6:00 am race start.    Went to be at 7:30 pm ,  asleep by 08:30 is only to be woke up by the neighbor's fireworks at 09:15,  yeah!   Had a restless sleep and woke up at 3:00 am and hit the ground running.   I was able to fit in 30 minutes in the hot tub with a coffee and made a bagel and another coffee to go and was on the road as planned. 

 In the past I started at 07:30 with a planned 4h12m finish.  This time instead of a 6:00 pace I planned a nice 7:00 / km run something I as sure I could sustain over the  42.2 km and not ever feel like the wheels were falling off.   The weather was perfect especially after melting there the week earlier running the 1/2 on the same course.   Didn't do much in the way of hydration or fuel until I was a couple of hours into the day when it started to get a bit warmer I moved to 700 ml water + a Gel / hour for the last few hours of the race.    I did what I wanted to and finished the day with pretty even splits and an overall 6:55 pace and a slightly negative split. 

8.5 km Splits 

1:00:5757:4657:1357:5058:21

  

 Tripped the clock at 4h52m7s ,  in 2017 it was 4:18:37, in 2018 it was 4:30:01 and in 2019 it was 4:31:25. Albeit my slowest Endur Marathon it was by far my most disciplined Endur 42.2 and I am quiet pleased with the results.     

 Its been a few years since I have done this sorts of volume or picked up the pace a bit.   The last time I felt this enabled was in 2019.   If someone asked me to run a Marathon tomorrow I would ask what time and where.  I do have to work on my pace for next year and will plan the race calendar a wee bit better doing a 70 km Ultra the week before Endur wasn't a great idea.   I will still do all the Ultras April through June  but change gears in July picking up a road race or two as well as the pace.   


Garmin Data 
























Splits 





No comments: