Thursday, June 29, 2017

Bruce Peninsula National Park - Low Dump to High Dump - Tues June 27 and Wed June 28

 Logged a few firsts this week....


  • First time running this section of the Bruce Trail 
  • First time " Fast Packing" 
  • First time sleeping on a Hammock on the Beach 
  • First time sleeping next to a sign that said " Warning ,  Bear activity in the area proceed with caution!  

 Celebrated Canada's 150 the Birthday by going for a long run in a National Park logging  29.6 km over a 2 say period.  







There was a total of 4 run segments.   

1- Tuesday afternoon I threw on my " Run for the Toad"  back pack  loaded with 16 Cans of Molson Canadian!    The plans was to slowly run it in and doe a "Beer Dump"  at " High Dump".  The Toad pack is not really a hiking backpack but I now have that item on my list of things to buy!!!!   I have never run with weight on my back before so I wasn't really sure how much I could carry. I got the pack as snug on my back as I could.  Most of the weight was over my upper tail bone and it forced me into a forward posture.  At first it was a little uncomfortable but then I got use to it and was actually running slowly here and there.    It took 1hr and 29min to cover the 7.2 km of trail.   It was quite technical and there were some steep rock climbs but they were maybe at max 10 meters or so.... no big deal.   I was surprised that there wasn't more elevation.   

2- With the load lightened I headed back to the parking lot now able to run  a little faster logging the 7.1 km return in 1hr24min.    I was a little dry and a wee bit hungry so the palm was to hang out at the car for a bit to take care of business.    

3-Preparing to head back I   had a nice chat with a fellow from Minnesota doing an around the Great Lakes Motorcycle tour.   Gave him some tips on circumventing the Hamilton and Windsor / Detroit areas.    I had everything packed the day before my Ulra Aspire pack ,  with stuff in it instead of water and another little nylon bag that had the " overflow " stuff.  Well the bag ripper so I just took the Ultra Aspire pack and threw it in the Toad bag and then added a bunch more stuff...I am sure I was heavier heading back then the first trip with the Beer!      Took my time heading back  took a long break halfway just to enjoy this amazing place!     The last stop was about a km from camp and took a picture of where I would be spending the night.    Picked up my " Beer Dump " and had to carry it and may heavy backpack another km to the beach.  It was interesting heading down a very steep hill with rope assist so heavily weighed down  but it was OK ,  I was thirsty!  The third and final run segment of the day was logged in 2hrs19min a total of 7.7 km.  


  You can just see the group I was meeting up with on the beach ....



















Tried the optical zoom on my phones camera ...




















Tuesday overnight was simply amazing!    When I arrived in camp it was about an hour before Sunset so I quickly set up my Hammock on the Beach along a tree line.    I cooled the Beer in Georgian Bay which was around 10C.     Broke out a bottle of Fireball and Jagermeister and in return I was offered a wonderful Thai meal.    Everything that everyone brought was carried in the nearest road access was 8 km away.  Had a blast watching day turn into night.    Our group con sited of Roger/ Switzerland ,   Katrina and her friend / Slovenia,  Chris and Jazz / Calgary and Patrick and Eric my shift partners.     It was a wonderful evening chatting ,  looking the sky watching the nightfall.   It was probably midnight when I hit the Hammock ... I fell asleep for a few hours but woke up chilled.  I was dressed in 2 layers a thermal base and a shell luckily I had some chem hand warmers that I packed so it made things a little more comfortable.   I just laid there looking at the sky ,  listening to the waves totally enjoying being on the beach watching the night turn into day.

4:30 am from my Hammock ...


















I waited until it was light enough to pack up and hit the trails somewhere a little after 5am Ieft before anyone was stirring on the Beach.   

4- The last and final run segment was heading back to Little Dump and my car.  Took my time heading back just to take it all in.   

Oh and the names "  High Dump" and "Low Dump" refer to spots that loggers way back a long long time ago before there were good roads use to take the logs here to be floated to the Mills on Georgian Bay.   

 What an adventure it was.  After that experience I am going to put together the gear I need to both fast pack and do loner multi day trips!  

A few more pictures ...







No comments: