Saturday, April 9, 2016

Marden 1/2 Marathon


 Completed my first 1/2 in 4 years running the Marden Marathon in 1hr47min45sec.     Finished 46th out of 165 participants,  31st out of 67 men and 7th out of 19 in the 50-59 age group.  I was really trying for a sub 1:45 and gave it my best shot but I fell short of my goal by 2min45sec.    

 It was a pretty cold today somewhere between -5 and -10 C but it was more about the wind.   It was particualry bad between 6K and the 10.55K turn around.   It was like I had the wind knocked out of me and I had to cover my mouth to keep the wind out when I was breathing.    The wind was strong enough that it helped on the way back LOL.    Got a wee bit warm with the wind at the back but there was only a few Ks left so I hung in there not making any changes.

 There were some pretty decent hills ,  not huge but they  became particularity tough the last 5K when I was trying to hold it together and even pick it up a bit.   I am not sure if it was the cold or a lactic acid build up but the legs felt stiff the last 5K.  

 So all and all a good day ,  not great result but I am glad I did it.  I give myself a B- for results but an A+ for effort.     I didn't pay any attention to the Garmin other then time and distance calculating pace as I went along.   After the race I looked at my Heart Rate and I high zone 3 pushing into zone 4 maxing out at 164 BPM ....   I consider 166 BPM to me my max.

Metrics tell the story ...
























I was a slighly positive split running the first 10.55Ks in 53min34sec and the second 10.55Ks in 53min46sec.  I really thought I had a negative split!  

All the splits ....





































 and of course the after pic...


No comments: