Tuesday, June 20, 2023

6:00 baby!

 Things sure have changed ,   a decade ago it was all about a 5:00 pace now the go to is 6:00...welcome to my 62!    I could run faster if I wanted to but I really don't want to.   My Endur week is coming up in August I have never really "trained" for this event each race is the training for the next!   I have been getting by logging lots of Ks it gets me through the week.   I am run ready now however I would like to show up at Endur ready to hold a " 6:00 flat road pace " for 20 km.   On Monday I headed down Grey Rd 12 to Markdale and jumped on the rail trail.  I set out to run at least 5 km @ 6:00 pace.   Did a relatively easy warm up them picked it up for 2K ,   backed off for a K then held the pace for 3K before doing a cooldown.   It was wee bit warm 24C and full Sun exposure going short I wasn't expecting the "heat " to come into play.   






















AVG HR sure rose in the last 3 6:00 intervals maxing out at 154.   The last K saw a 162 bpm  max ,   not too too far off my max HR ...yikes!    I could most likely sustain in the 140's for a couple of hours however 150's,  no way I would fatigue.   

So yeah ,  I have some work to do I will be visiting the rail trail more between now and Endur.  On a positive note I really enjoyed the run it felt good to push it a bit and the trail was quite nice with only a wee bit of elevation.   




No comments: